Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Yes

End of the year = time to reflect on past year. Oh lord, has this been one hell of a roller coaster ride of the year. For those of you with a short memory, or just don't know, I was laid off from my job at the end of last year. It was not a shock, really, I had been waiting to get laid off since March of 2008, but was able to hold on until December. So here comes January and I am jobless. I thought I might be able to enjoy myself a bit but boy, was I wrong. I know that I am not meant to be a housewife. I am bored and when I get bored I get bitchy. Well, then came February and my Mom had to have back surgery so that was sort of a nice reprieve to feel needed somewhere. For the next few months, I made several trips back and forth to Arkansas to keep Mom company. I know it was a tough time for my Mom, but really it was so great for me to be able to spend my energy somewhere. March rolls around and yes, I had been going on some interviews, but no call backs yet. I had an interview on March 17th at a bank. I walk into the interview room in my gray suit and am greeted by three women wearing the same green blazer. Talk about fashion hell. Even if I was interested in the job (I got offered a job, but wasn't interested), I do not know if I could succumb to such group dressing activities. April gets here and I decide to hell with the big company world, I am going to actually try this lawyering thing. Yes, I had been practicing law for the past 4 years, but not to my full potential. I decided to embark on a career in something that came naturally to me - drama (Family Law). Family Law was the easiest class to grasp in law school and I do have to admit that I love drama that doesn't involve me. So here comes May and the opening of my own practice. I was so fortunate to find another female solo practitioner who offered me a sublease opportunity and an of counsel agreement (I can work on her cases). Six months later and I have completed 8 divorces and currently have 12 clients on my books. No, I am not getting rich (yet!), but I am happy. I have to use my brain everyday and I like that I am solely responsible for my success and failures.

We went to see the Jim Carrey movie last night, Yes Man. While it wasn't the best movie ever, I did enjoy the premise. Stop saying no to opportunities and say yes. I said Yes to one of the more crazy ideas I have come up with and I am so thankful that others encouraged me to take this leap. For the year of 2009, do yourself a favor and say Yes!

No comments: