Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Interesting Sayings

So my Mom used to always say "Hard as a Brick Bat". I say this often, not really knowing what it means, but I love the saying. My roommate, not one to just acquiesce, has asked me several times what it means. I had no clue. I love using sayings, and I just apply a meaning to them that works for whatever situation I choose.

Ok, so just for a little education, here is what it means:
a “brickbat” is a piece or fragment of a standard building brick, usually less than half the size of a full brick but, according to brickbat purists, retaining one unbroken end of the brick. As the Oxford English Dictionary explains, the “brickbat” has always been an instrument of social disorder: “It is the typical ready missile, where stones are scarce.” “Brickbat” is also a very old word, first found (so far) in print in 1563, used in a typically violent context (”She sent a brickbat after him, and hit him on the back”).

It seems that most people use this saying when referring to food, such as stale bread. I use it for lots of things, now you can too!!

No comments: