Friday, November 21, 2008

Word lesson Allude v. Elude

Not only am I here to entertain, but to teach. I learnt (just kidding!) this on the radio this morning, and just had to share since I was very interested to learn the correct word usage. So, I used to think it was "I was eluding to the fact that .....". Boy was I wrong. Yes, I can admit when I am wrong. So, pupils, get out your learning hats:

Definition of Allude:
mention indirectly: to refer to something or somebody indirectly, without giving a precise name or explicit identification

Allude or elude? Do not confuse the spelling of allude and elude, which sound similar. Allude is usually followed by to, as in alluding to the disappearance of her husband. Elude means "escape from," "avoid," or "be beyond": He eluded his pursuers. Her name eludes me.

Allude or refer? The sentence She alluded to her husband by name is a self-contradiction, because allude means "to mention indirectly." When the reference is direct, the word to use is refer. So if she mentioned "the man at home looking after the children," she was alluding to her husband, whereas if she mentioned "George" or "my husband" directly, she was referring to him: She referred to her husband frequently.

Now go and impress all of your friends!!

No comments: