Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When the going gets tough...

DON'T GIVE UP. Ok, so what happened?? Well, most of you know that I am very new to speaking in court, and this has actually been a great fear of mine. I know, shocking that I am scared to speak, but I am really more afraid of messing up than the actual speaking. Anyway, I am no longer a virgin as of today. No, it wasn't my first court appearance, just my first time to actually speak. Well, the actual speaking came quite natural, but the Judge's remarks were horrific. Why? Well, the Judge went completely apeshit on me for filing something that HE believes I shouldn't have (it was an affidavit saying that my client was poverty level and therefore couldn't afford filing fees). This man was ridiculous with his horrible mean comments and I was doing all I could do to hold back tears. I did it though. I was soooo upset in my car on the way back to the office and just couldn't wait to tell my officemates the story. My mentor reminded me: Judges are not always right. So, we researched the law and his interpretation and we still do not agree with him, but it doesn't mean he didn't have the right to make the ruling he did. I was reminded to not be so darn hard on myself, and let it roll off. We are all human here and even if I do make a mistake, which I am sure I will, just learn from it and DO NOT GIVE UP. I am determined to not let fear stop me from pursuing my personal goals and I hope all of you will do the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am proud of you. Mean people suck.