Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The tail end of our vacation: Charleston. We did not enjoy Charleston. Nothing against the city, just a bad experience due to a little stomach bug (no, it wasn't a hangover) and the fact that our hotel was called Best Western Downtown but was about 2 miles from downtown (buzz kill - AND it was $125 a night for a Best Western!!!).

We arrived in Charleston Sunday afternoon and after getting over the fact that we couldn't switch hotels, we decided to make the best of it. We went on a boat cruise down the river that gave us a good view of Fort Sumter, an air craft carrier and general history. After that, we took a really cute carriage ride through the town of Charleston that gave us history on the buildings, houses, restaurants and shopping districts. Very enjoyable and a must do if you go to Charleston. Just make sure you don't get on a tour with a bunch of drunks unless you are drunk yourself. (we had that unfortunate experience - nothing against drinking, it was just not a drinking type of event).

I was sick from Sunday evening until late Monday night. I was so sick I called two good friends in the healthcare field inquiring if I needed to go to the hospital as I just kept getting worse. To top it off, we were in a very small hotel room, so my roommie had a wonderful time dealing with me being sick. Good thing is that I didn't have to go to the hospital and the other half didn't end up getting as sick as I was.

Here are some pics of Charleston:

Entrance to Boone Plantation - the most photographed plantation. I was told it was on some movie, but I can't remember, maybe you recognize it.


Boone Plantation House


Slave Quarters




GO USA!!! This is from the aircraft carrier, but in light of the most recent events in history, I thought this was a perfect picture. The American Flag is a beautiful piece of art, isn't it?


And to end on a funny note -

This sign gave me the giggles. I obviously took it in a totally inappropriate direction. Ha!

No comments: