Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Camp for Adults

I recently attending a Continuing Legal Education class and this required a 2 night stay, on a college campus, in a dorm room. Wow, was this a blast from the past. I was less than thrilled when my parents informed me that I was living in the dorms, like it or not. However, it turned out to be one of the best experiences in my college years. It was the best way to meet people and feel like you have a family away from home. I lived in Ford Hall at KSU on the 9th floor. Get this - I was on the QUIET floor. NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED, AND YES, IT DID GET ME IN TROUBLE FROM TIME TO TIME. Anyway, when I moved in, it was just my Mom and I. We get there with all of my crap and learn that the elevators aren't working nor is the air conditioning (remember, I am on the 9th floor??)!! It was one of the most awful experiences EVER, but yet a memory that is now a laugh to my Mom and I.

Back to last weekend - when I arrived to the town, I saw hotels and thought to myself - why can't I just stay in a hotel? I was going to this conference alone and just wasn't too hot on the dorm room idea. However, I had already paid for the dorms so I was stuck with my decision. It was another hot day as I am wheeling my stuff in - thank goodness it was only enough for two loads - and I walk into the room - it is HOT! Not like there isn't a/c, but stuffy. My initial reaction was to be ticked off, however, I immediately thought of my Mom and smiled. I guess it is a sign of age when stuff that pisses you off can bring a memory, and a smile to your face.

The weekend turned out to be a good one and I met some pretty great pals, all because I was in the dorms and forced to be a social bug.

No comments: