Thursday, October 23, 2008

Modeling Career is Over

I am not sure if most of you were aware of this, but me and my other half own a very priceless domestic short hair, who in his former life was a model. Very successful I might add, his work can be seen on several Hallmark cards. His name is Willie and he rules the roost. Our model loves to go outside and explore. Well, his exploring last night was abruptly halted when another cat came into his territory and he felt the need to protect his domain. I am not sure who won, but here is what Willie came out of it with:




So some of you cat haters may think this doesn't look too bad, but trust me, there was a lot of blood that would not stop and the thought of me having a mangled ear cat really worried me. So, off to the emergency vet clinic we go. Miraculosly when I got to the clinic, the flap had reattached and the blood had clotted, so it really didn't look too bad. Here were my three options at the clinic:


1. Leave the ear as is, give him some antibiotics and put a collar on him


2. Have them pull back apart the flap, clean it out and glue it and then antibiotics and collar


3. Put him to sleep, give him stitches and the antibiotics and collar



I chose option one as it was already looking pretty good and since he had on the collar he couldn't mess with it. Boy, was I wrong! He went crazy with this collar on. He was walking backwards, bucking like a bronco, running into things, flopping around, so guess what? The ear came back apart. Thank god I am a Doctor (technically, I am, but only of law, but does it really matter at this point) and I took matters into my own hands. Well, actually for this surgery it took both my legs and hands. I decided that since he had the collar on, that I could band-aid his ear and hope for the best. Here is the post surgery I hate you pose:


See the spoon in the right corner of the pic - that was my "anesthesia" - milk on a spoon! By the way, it didn't work!

Well, our model is fine, just really ticked off, and I am not sure if he will fully recover with a normal ear, but if not, at least we have a good story out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although i really felt bad 4 willie as i read ur blog .. I couldnt stop laughing @ his misfortune!!! He looked so pissed w/ that ring around his neck. My cat simon has also had an ear mishap .. Maybe they can form a support group

Amusing Red said...

Well, the bandaid fix didn't work either - so my cat now has an extra flap of skin on his ear - darn!