Friday, May 28, 2010

Not a good sign...

...when you see a firetruck make a U-turn!!!! I was on my way to work this AM and I saw a truck zoom by, then a minute or so later, saw them making a U-turn. OOPS! Guess everyone's GPS can be wrong every now and then!

I have a firetruck story:

One night I was woken up with a weird beep noise (my roommate was out of town working so I had to deal with this one my own). I had heard this a few times before, but couldn't place what it was until it completely woke me up and I realized it was my fire alarms. Oh well, just need to change the battery. Back to sleep. Not too long later, my alarms are going off. OMG, what the hell. Yes, I did get out of bed and found Willie and made sure (to the best of my ability) that there was no fire. The alarms then stopped. Back to bed again, annoyed. Not sure how much later but the damn things woke me up again - going off, full blast. I again made sure no fire, and went out on the front porch to wait this one out. I went around unplugging the alarms I could reach, flipped breakers, whatever I could think of. However, the alarms went on and off several more times during the night. SIDE NOTE: I admit, there were a few times I called my roommate screaming, crying, etc., you didn't think I was going to FULLY handle this on my own, did you?

At around 7 a.m. I called the fire department info line (not 911). I told them what was happening and requested for someone to come and make sure there wasn't anything wrong. I told them I was 99% sure there was no fire but I was so tired I just wanted some help. I requested for a few guys to just come over in their suburban or van, not to make a big scene. That is not what I got. I got the whole crew, huge truck and SIRENS!! I was mortified. No fire, just a bad alarm, and a few neighbors got a good laugh.

I was told the fire departments take safety precautions as they never know what they are going to find....I would say so!

No comments: