Monday, June 1, 2009

Two Women and a Truck

Yesterday I was sent on a "simple" errand. Not so much.....My friend K and I went to go pick up some slat wall with her brother's pick up truck. We loaded each piece in the bed of the truck, as far back as we could get it, and then the rest was hanging out of the bed of the truck (the tail gate was down). The boards were pretty heavy, so we though all was well as long as K, the driver, took it easy. (She tends to drive a bit fast.) We were easing along, and at one point, we stopped near a Home Depot to make sure it wasn't sliding. It wasn't, so there was no need to go buy bungees or rope. Then we go another few miles, stop to get lunch, and the boards are still perfect. Now we are on our way home, get to a busy intersection and clump.
K: What did we hit? (I thought we hit something too!)
Red: As I turn around I see the boards in the intersection. Shit!
K: Let me reverse. Nope, can't reverse into an intersection
Red: "They all fell out!" (My hands are gesturing wildly and I am in a bit of a panic) Red jumps out and runs to the intersection, stopping traffic, as K goes around the median to help me.

Red runs out and frantically is dragging each board out of the intersection, and at one point I had to put my hand up to stop an Accord from driving over the boards (women drivers!). FINALLY, when there are only two boards left in the street, two men get out of their cards to help me, then by that time K had arrived again. The man put UP the tail gate and said this will help them from falling out. (Oh, now that makes sense!) Loaded them back up and we made it home....with all 6 boards in tact.

Funny thing is, I was scared to tell my roommate. I told K we would keep this between us. She said she would follow my lead. After about 15 minutes upon our return home, I couldn't keep it in and told him, burst into laughter, and all was well. So ladies, here is how to load boards into a truck. Now you all have no excuse for an accident like mine! Ha!



3 comments:

Mindy S. said...

OK....I can't help but comment on this? Is "K" Kristi? Why does this not surprise me at all? This sounds exactly like something we would do in high school :)

Amusing Red said...

Yes, that is who K is Kristi

Mindy S. said...

The whole "she tends to drive fast" kind of gave it away :)