Monday, August 16, 2010

Fried Chicken

is a pain in the ass to make at home!!!

We had family in town and my sister in law and I thought it was a fun idea to fry hushpuppies, zucchini and chicken. We had planned to do this Saturday night. I was excited as my Mom can fry awesome chicken and I always thought it would be a great skill to master. I got out my Martha cookbook, find a recipe for buttermilk fried chicken and was all set to go....

Until I actually had to fry the chicken! I had planned on doing this outside on a cooktop that we use for tailgating so I didn't have to get my kitchen greasy. Unfortunately the grease wouldn't get hot enough, so I had to move my operation inside. I didn't take pictures b/c it just wouldn't do it justice. Grease was splattering EVERYWHERE and it was a painful (grease splatters hurt!), and very time consuming experience! Nothing like serving your guests dinner at 10:00 p.m.!! At least it was family!

How was the chicken? Well, I think everyone was sweet and said it was good. The true gauge is my roommate and he only ate one piece, so I am thinking he didn't like it. I am having leftovers for lunch, so I can give it another taste test.

So, KFC and Popeyes have job security. I absolutely know why they have been in business this long. The good news is that I used my Dad's recipe for hushpuppies and they were a hit. I've got hushpuppies down!


UPDATE AT 12:33 P.M. MONDAY - the chicken was good, even though I may be a bit biased since I am trying to redeem myself from my embarrassment on Saturday.

No comments: