Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life, Slow Down

This is not a funny post. For the past year I have especially tried to focus on nurturing friendships, family relationships and most of all my happiness with myself. I am failing. Don't take this the wrong way - I have great friends, happiness within my marriage and my family.

Here is how I am failing:
1. It took my sister in law and I 6 weeks to plan a lunch date
2. I am meeting a friend for lunch today whom I haven't seen for almost 6 months
3. I haven't seen family members (extended) for years
4. I only visit Granny once a year, if that (husband's Granny, but she has treated me like I am her granddaughter)
5. I am lucky if I go to my hometown once a year.

As some of you know, my Uncle died this past weekend. I am not going to pretend that we were close, because we weren't. He wasn't in a place to want to be in our lives for a great period of time, but this past year he really turned his life around. I was friendly to him on facebook, but did not see him or nurture a relationship with him. I am not blaming myself for not reaching out to him, but it has certainly once again reminded me how short our lives can be, and to make the most of everyday.

I really don't think my priorities are screwed up, I just can't find enough time to do everything I want to do. So now I am faced with the decision to accept the way things are or not be so hard on myself. Uggh, not an easy choice.

No comments: