Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Playing Nurse

I love to feel needed, like I am helping someone get better. I am a little squeamish, so therefore, the occupation of nurse or doctor is not fitting. My roommate has had a cold for about a week, however, after we came home from the FB game his cold had escalated. Since we are leaving on vacation on Wednesday, I decided to put my nursing skills in full motion. Let's be honest, my nursing skills really only involve allowing someone to sleep, helping them get things and making some simple meals. I have no idea what medicine to give someone.

I happily tell my roommate to go take a hot shower, get in bed, and I will bring up some soup and grilled cheese. I heat up the soup (I don't have time to make it from scratch and in my opinion, Campbell's Chunky rocks), make the grilled cheese, and make the cutest display by taking it up to him on a tray. I am beaming from ear to ear at this point. I am so proud of myself.

I come back into the room about 15 minutes later and his tray is clean. He thanked me, but for those of you that know me, I like a bit more praise than one thank you.
I asked him a day later, "Weren't you happy that I served you in bed? Weren't my nursing skills good?"
He promptly replies, "Of course, I thanked you that night."
My reply: " I know, but I thought you would say something more. Did you like the soup?"
His reply, "Well.....it was cold!".
Me: (dying laughing and astonished) What??? It even exploded in the microwave and I had to clean it up. Why didn't you tell me?
Him: "Well, I didn't want to make you mad by having to go back downstairs."

So, I guess he nursed my ego while I nursed his cold.....pretty damn good match even though I fully expect him to tell me next time his soup is cold, even if I am serving him!

No comments: